What are suppression lists and when to use them?
You should use a suppression list to exclude specific addresses or domains from receiving your newsletters. You do this by adding suppression rules. Once you set up a suppression list, you don’t have to manually remove recipients every time you want to send a newsletter.
Suppression lists are a convenient way to make sure that you don’t send updates on products or services to recipients who have opted out from receiving them. Simply go to Lists>>Suppression list and click the Create the suppression list button to set it up. Then, select it when you choose newsletter recipients in the newsletter creator.
How do I create a suppression list?
1. Click on Lists in the Dashboard toolbar.
2. Select Suppression lists from the toolbar to get to the Suppression lists page.
3. Click Create suppression list. A Create suppression list page opens.
4. Enter your list name (required). The list name can be 1-64 characters long. All characters are allowed, but your list name can’t be just a space ( ). Emojis are turned into an underscore ( _ ).
5. Add suppression rules. You can:
- Paste or type them in. Add one rule per line, press Enter to separate each entry
- Upload a file. Use CSV or TXT files, no larger than 10 MB. You can either drag-and-drop it or click Choose file and select the file from your computer. When the file has been successfully added, we confirm that it’s ready for upload.
6. Click Save suppression list.
Once you’ve successfully created a suppression list, you’ll automatically return to the Suppression lists page. From there, you can:
- view the lists you’ve created
- edit and delete existing lists
- sort your existing lists by name or date
- create new suppression lists
How can I edit or delete a suppression list?
You edit and delete existing suppression lists from the Suppression lists page.
1. Go to Lists>>Suppression lists.
2. Hover the mouse pointer over the Actions icon (⋮) to open the Actions list. Then, select Edit or Delete.
To edit the suppression list
After you’ve clicked Edit, you’ll get to the Edit suppression list page. From there you can change the suppression list name and delete or add suppression rules.
- To change the name, type in a new name in the space provided.
- To delete the rules, select one or more rules. To delete the rules in bulk, check the box above the list. Next, click Delete and save.
- To add new rules, select Type in or paste or Upload a file. Then, follow the steps for adding suppression rules. Click Save.
To delete the suppression list
- Select Delete from the Actions menu (⋮). A pop-up modal will appear.
- Click Yes, delete to confirm you’d like to remove the suppression list.
What suppression rules can I add?
Suppression rules can be used to exclude emails or domains. You can use the following rules:
Use a full email address to exclude a particular recipient.
Use the domain name part to exclude all email addresses at that domain.
Use the local part (the part that comes before the domain name) to exclude such email addresses at all domains.
Use # followed by ISP name to block it.
You can also use MD5 hashed email addresses.